Stung by a bee.

Today I was stung by a bee. It happened just before I was about to sit down to work, and it shattered my hopes of being super productive.

How it happened: I was wearing wide-legged jeans. I think that, while I was downstairs making myself lunch, a bee wandered in through the conservatory door. It must have been curious and continued its explorations up my one leg, stopping only when it got caught around my thigh. It panicked. It stung me. I wasn’t expecting a sharp stinging sensation in my leg, and I rubbed at it. Mistake, I know. I was crying and screaming for my mother. IT HURT. Somewhere in my own pain-filled haze, I noticed a bee hobbling away from the scene of the crime. I was to preoccupied with the agony to focus on it. It was going to die anyway.

The effect: I couldn’t work. I can’t work. The stinging sensation hasn’t died down now, and it’s SHARP. There’s also a deep, dull throbbing underneath the skin, probably thanks to my mom’s advice of ‘squeezing the poison out’. After checking the NHS Choices website, I learned that you don’t want to do anything to the area besides wash it and put ice on it. I had a bag of frozen peas on it until the poor peas defrosted. I also learned that the pain could last for up to 48 hours. Great. This does not work for me, as I have to go to placement tomorrow. If I’m still all tensed up and in pain when I have to hobble the twenty minutes from the train station to the school, the day will not go well. I can’t think straight! I can’t walk properly either. All I can feel is the tension in my neck and the throbbing and stinging in my right thigh.

Anyone have a miracle cure? PLEASE?

One thought on “Stung by a bee.”

  1. Ouch 🙁 🙁 I know how horrendous the pain is. Hope yours goes quickly! Have heard of mixing vinegar and baking powder and putting it on the sting but don’t know how evidence-based that is.

So what do you think?